It's that time again. The Irish Blogger Gathering is called upon to answer the most serious of questions. This weeks IBG is brought to us by the good folks of We Never Graduate...
Let's IBG this thing:
1. This year more than most, there seems to be an inordinate amount of attention spent on peripheral topics like the jumbotron, field turf, and apparel. Kelly is responsible in large part because he’s so candid about his take on them during his press conferences, making it perfectly clear his preferences that stoke the NDNation's ever-burning fire. Do you think he's going too far to push for these "enhancements" or do you think he's doing what's necessary to push Notre Dame's program into the modern age.
Y'all should already know my answer by now. I am in full support of ALL the changes BrianKelly is helping to bring along. Fully, full on at 138%. Notre Dame has enough "restrictions" in recruiting, and they should not let any disadvantage that is possible remain. Things change, and despite what some might think, change is good. Notre Dame has a long history over the past 30 years of changing slowly. Hopefully this is all put into hyperdrive.
2. Coach Kelly made it clear today in his press conference that he couldn’t care less what you think about the helmets and uniforms…but I care what you think. Give the world your take on the helmets we’ll be wearing this weekend.
I like the helmets. I don't love them- yet. I'm betting that a lot of people's minds might be changed once you see the full deal on the field. I would rather see blue, gold, and green camo uniforms... but we still have more games in this Shamrock Series.
3. The Irish are starting to incur some injuries that are forcing new players to emerge and contribute. Identify one guy who hasn't made a big contribution thus far that will show up big over the next three games.
I'm not sure that we will. At this point, even the possible backups that would be candidates here would have already done something of note. Still, I don't want to NOT answer the question. TOMA TIME. His stats say that he has a touchdown, but I think Irish fans want more out of him, and they blame Kelly for that. With Riddick out against Maryland, look for a big game from TOMA.
4. There was a short time during the Notre Dame coaching search when it appeared current Maryland head coach Randy Edsall was the front runner. How different would things be for the Irish program right now if he was chosen in front of Kelly?
We would suck. That's why most of the fans I know wanted nothing to do with him. We would suck, and we would be more like a Bob Davie team. I'm legit.
5. Let's briefly step away from South Bend and address the talk of college football right now: the mind-boggling Penn State scandal. What's your take on the entire situation and what do you think needs to happen moving forward in Happy Valley?
This question was asked too soon as we already know about much of the fallout. It's a tragic situation, and Paterno did nothing in the public eye to help himself. The BOT fired him, and rightly so. Sadly, there may be even more to this story, and it would be horrible if true.
I'm not sure what PSU should do, but I have heard giving itself the death penalty as a solution to help wash itself clean from this mess. I don't disagree.
Give your thoughts on the new upstart, NDERPNATION. Funny? Not funny? Out of line? On point?
ONE OF THE BEST THINGS TO HAPPEN TO THE INTERNET SINCE YOUTUBE. Seriously, it is fantastic. Now we have a place to go to see the insane bullshit that comes out of NDNation.com , and more specifically it's main message board: Rock's House. In a way, it is their Ombudsmen- but even better. It's for us.